Sunday 29 May 2011

Never Alone

We survived the weekend.  Mike is still very weak but he did emerge from the bedroom a few times today and he is starting to eat again.  He says he feels like it is taking longer to bounce back this time but he feels hopeful that each day he will gain more strength.  We started his G-Csf shots again to help keep his neutraphils up. We are praying that he doesn't have too much bone pain from this medication. 

I managed to get through the week as well.  I had some great moments with the kids enjoying the great weather and falling into a predictable routine for them.. We are still  having moments with difficult behavior and difficult questions as they process the changes in our family.  As I reflect back on the week I can understand their behavior a little better and Mike and I are always brainstorming on how to help them through their emotions.  Tonight Toby and I spent some time talking about some of his behaviors that had occurred throughout the day.  I asked him what he was feeling in his heart he was able to verbalize that he feels angry that daddy has been sick for so long.  We decided to spend some extra time cuddling daddy before bed and we had a family prayer.  Toby looked relieved and secure as I tucked him tonight. I'm so glad he is talking about it. 

 The biggest challenge for me is the pace of life and lack of sleep, thankfully my mom arrived Saturday night. She is a tremendous help and I can slow down just a little bit.  The most amazing thing happened today: all three of our kids napped at the same time for 3 hours! That has never happened. Mike and I had a nap and even some time to visit without interruptions. What a gift.

People are always saying to me, I don't know how you are doing it - looking after three little kids and facing illness with your husband. The answer, is that I haven't had to do it alone. God has been beside us the whole way and we have been the recipient of so much care, support and practical help. I can honestly say that from the moment we received the diagnosis we've never felt alone.  Every week we are being blessed by so many people, even strangers.  God has wrapped his arms around us through our friends, family and neighbors.  Cards, e-mails, words of encouragement, groceries, house cleaners, activities for the kids, meals and treats.... the list goes on.  I want to send out thank you cards but I don't know where to begin. At the end of all this Mike and I hope to throw a huge celebration party for good health and a huge thank you to all of you. 

We have seen love in action: your love has blessed us and I know it brings glory to God.  These verses describe what our experience has been like being on the receiving end of all this love.


"Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.  Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.  Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.  Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.  Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.   Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.  Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn." Romans 12 :9-15 

Thank you that we haven't taken one step of our journey alone.

1 comment:

  1. Jana, you were on my mind recently, and that led to a little searching and finding this site you've created. So good to see you online more ... but never would have wanted it to be for this reason. I'm so sad to hear about Mike's health and all that you've been through so far. What a courageous journey!
    Although we haven't been face-to-face for years now, my heart holds a very soft place for you and I will be praying for Mike and you and the boys as you carry on in this marathon!
    Bless you for the testimony you've already shared ...
    Love,
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete