Sunday 15 May 2011

The Good Days

Mike and I were just reflecting today on how much we appreciate the good days. When you've had several difficult days the good days feel all the better. When Mike starts to regain strength  there is a new sense of relief and joy in our home. It feels good to hear him making phone calls, laughing and playing with the kids. I appreciate these everyday noises whereas I never slowed down long enough to enjoy them as I do now.

Friday afternoon Mike started to feel some relief from the stomach pain and nausea.  The antacids seem to be helping and he has progressively been able to handle more food. He has had more energy the last couple of days and we have made the most of it.

On Friday he took me out on a date, he didn't tell me where we were going but he rushed me out of the house quickly as soon as the babysitter arrived. We played mini golf out on a course in the country, you could smell spring blossoms and watch the sunset from the course.  Mike started out the game with a hole in one and I just barely managed to beat him by the end of the game 82: 80.  We tried to go out for some food but nothing was sitting right with Mike's stomach so he watched me drink a latte while he sipped on a children size milk.  The night was so special; these moments feel so great after a hard week.

Saturday Mike continued to have increasing energy so he insisted that I go out for some fresh air and join our church in handing out invitations to kids camp.  Mike looked after our kids and he really enjoyed having them all to himself.  Likewise the boys enjoyed having Daddy all to themselves. They walked around the complex for our neighborhood garage sale which is an activity they all enjoyed.  When I got home Mike had Keegan nicely settled for his nap and the boys were playing so contentedly in the back yard.  The boys enjoyed some uninterrupted time with their dad and they had excellent behavior the whole day.  We finished the day with good friends and good food at a Vantol birthday celebration.  It  feels good to be back out at social gatherings with my companion by my side.

We made it to church this morning and again it was great to see Mike enjoying the company of all the people we love so much.  The good days renew my hope and give me energy to keep plodding through the difficult ones.   God has given me a new ability to slow down and enjoy the everyday moments instead of skimming past them to reach the next goal or accomplish the next thing on the list.  God has so many joyful moments for us to experience in our day and it took cancer to slow me down enough to fully experience them.

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus"  1 Thessalonians 5:16 

Though I would never choose these circumstances,  I'm experiencing how God uses trials to bring out good fruit in our lives. "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control " Galations 5:22

5 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to hear that you have been blessed with some good days after such a difficult week! You and Mike are both such inspirations.
    xox
    heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for filling us in on the good days, too:) They are good for all of us to hear. And we all need to slow down and take in a few more of those simple and sweet moments. So glad you could all make it on Saturday. It really meant a lot to us. Best birthday present :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're so glad to hear that Mike's feeling a bit better and you've been able to have some good time together. Our hearts have been very heavy for you all - glad you've been able to have a bit of refreshing.
    - Sheldon and Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is inspiring my faith. God bless you and Mike and your family as you run your race of faith before the great gathering of witnesses.

    from Alison Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Know that you continue to be in our prayers...I love to hear you share your heart - both the pain and joys - thank you for being so transparent.
    Andrew and Rebecca, Vancouver

    ReplyDelete