Wednesday 11 May 2011

The Children

Blogging is very new to me, and thanks to my good friend Frances I just discovered how to add photos.  I went a little crazy last night, and stayed up way to late adding in some pictures. If you're interested you can scroll through some of the old entries and see some pictures of what I've been writing about.

Today we said goodbye to my parents. It was hard to let them go as it has been so great having the extra help and company.  However I'm thankful I  had a bit of a break and I'm mentally gearing myself back up to dive in to this marathon we are running.

Mike is feeling the effects of chemo again today.  We are seeing a pattern that he has days with appetite and energy followed by days of fatigue and discomfort. Thankfully he hasn't experienced any bone pain from the G-CSF injections.  He continues to get through this round of chemo without any symptoms of infection, so we do have a lot to be thankful for.

Our biggest challenge in the last couple of days has been the effect this sickness is having on our kids.  They don't understand the full impact of sickness but they are reacting to the many changes in their world.  Toby and Tyler are both very intuitive, and they are beginning to express their emotions through their behavior. Toby has had lots of questions about sickness, life and death. Difficult topics to tackle with a 4 year old.  This has by far put our parenting to the greatest test. We are doing our best to help them navigate through their anger and sadness with love, faith, sensitivity and consistency. I often feel at a loss for how to help them.  Mike has been so encouraging and we are working together on this which makes it so much easier. Nonetheless our heart breaks as we try to help them navigate through their pain and I feel stretched thin between their varying needs.  Please pray for our boys.  We have faith that God will use these difficult times to bring out resilience, compassion and love in them. As I tucked them in to bed tonight God gave me a vivid picture of artwook which depicts this verse :

But Jesus called the children to him and said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these." Luke 18:1

Only tonight instead of seeing anonymous children in a piece of art I could see Jesus calling my children by name and holding them tightly in His arms.

6 comments:

  1. I think that is THE most amazing visual for a parent to have, especially in hard times or when they need a heavenly hug from their Big Daddy.
    You are both doing an awesome job with your boys, despite the circumstances. It's the best and the hardest job on the planet, but you guys do it the very best for your boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you guys everday. Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the pictures. Its the first time we've seen Mike without hair in about 32 years. You were good looking then and still are. Looking forward to seeing you guys in a couple weeks.

    Dad & Mom Roth

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are both doing a great job with the kids and you will all come out of this stronger. Mom is feeling better, had a good visit on the Island and hope to make it home today. Love from Nana and Papa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pics! Thanks so much for taking the time to post them. Love Mike's hat too, it looks good on him!

    It's always so tough on children to go through things they just don't understand. They are lucky to have such fabulous parents to help them through it. As you said, everything is easier together and you guys are such a great team.

    I continue to pray for you both and the boys. Hope this week is going well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The confusion and questions of kids is tough. We will be praying for your kids also that God gives them supernatural patience and understanding as they realize a new rhythm at this time, but with the same God & same parents.

    I stumbled upon this classic verse a few days ago and I will pray this verse for your whole family, "Cast all your cares on the Lord, he will sustain you. He will never let the righteous fall." (Psalm 55:22).

    ReplyDelete