Thursday 26 May 2011

Power in Weakness

We made it through another day. Only one more day of chemo left this week.  Mike is feeling the effects of chemo full force today : nausea, fatigue, no appetite. He had his 4 hour treatment and has spent the rest of the day resting and sleeping.  He is such a trooper; never complaining.

So far the kids seem to be handling the week fairly well.  Toby is very perceptive. When Mike made no effort to get out of bed this morning, Toby was quick to ask why daddy is sleeping so much. He was prodding me to get in there and tell daddy he's been seeping long enough. We talked about how the medicine the doctors give Daddy makes him feel tired and it is Daddy's job to sleep so he can get better.    The kids are quick to perceive the change in Mike's energy but they are also adapting quicker this time. The boys have done amazing at helping me out, playing with each other, and waiting patiently as I tirage all their different needs according to urgency. On these days I let the housework pile up and I try to give them extra TLC. I am very proud of our kids.

One minute I look at my sleeping husband with no hair and I still can't believe this is happening; the routine of chemo is starting to become a familiar part of our life.  In some ways the longer we do this the more tired we get, but at the same time we've been through it before and we know that the discomforts will pass. God is sure teaching us a lot ! Mike and I both agree that God is showing Himself real to us in our weakness more than we've ever experienced  in our strength.

I have had many moments of weakness throughout this journey. When my feet hit the floor at 6 am in the morning I am often overwhelmed trying to do a good job meeting the needs of my family. I just feel weary and I often think "how am I going to survive another day". This verse comes to my mind constantly throughout the day and it gives me strength.

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.
2 Corinthians 12:9

I welcome Christ's power because I don't have any on my own.  I see Christ's power in Mike. Though his body is weak, his spirit is strong. I know he's depending on Christ for that strength - as long as I've know him, he always has.

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there Jana. We are so thankful to have you as our daughter-in-law. One of Lin's favourite phrases when going through a trial is, "It came to pass..." And eventually it does.
    We are so proud of the way you care for your boys and Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shellie Rachel's sister-in-law, Alison here:

    When I read your posts, I think, the Lord is glorified through the life of you and your family and your reliance on him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shellie Rachel28 May 2011 at 09:19

    I'm so thankful that the treatment is working.
    God works in mysterious way. Your trials have made me appreciate things so much more. Your blog has been very inspiring. Thank you for doing it.

    Take care. Look forward to seeing you again soon.

    ReplyDelete