Tuesday 10 May 2011

Mother's Day


                                                            

The past three days Mike has been feeling so sick that he has barely gotten out of bed. So you can imagine my surprise when I was woken up by the big smiles of my husband and two sons who were serving me breakfast in bed. I'm not sure what was the greater gift: the fresh coffee and waffles, or the extra hour of sleep. 

Mike got up with the boys at 6:30 am. They made home-made cards and cooked a beautiful breakfast.  The most special part of this gift was knowing that Mike was starting to feel better; also I knew the sacrifice it was for him to cook breakfast in his nauseous state. I was so blessed that he would use every ounce of energy he had on me.

He was tired after serving me breakfast and needed to head back to bed himself.  He missed church which I know is hard for him, but it was a wise choice. His neutrophils will be at their lowest on day 5 - 10 of his treatment so he really needs to take it easy in the next few days and be cautious about catching any flues or colds.

He rested most of the afternoon but by dinner time he was craving pizza which was fine with me since I believe it is just wrong for a mom to cook on Mother's Day. We had a family celebration with my parents and my sister and brother-in-law.  Mike's appetite and energy are returning so I am hopeful that he is heading upwards as we continue through the second cycle of chemo.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you were able to have a special day - well deserved!!
    - Melanie Gustafson

    ReplyDelete