Wednesday 13 April 2011

Persevere

Well we have read all about the side effects of chemo and heard about them from doctors and nurses, but today it feels as though the reality of chemo is starting to sink in.  Mike is very tired and he slept a lot today.  I'm glad that he is listening to his body and is slowing down and resting.  He has had some nausea but the medications that they have given us to help the nausea are keeping it under control. He is eating, though not savoring food like usual. We are thankful that everything he is experiencing is a normal reaction to the chemo and I'm  getting my head around the fact that we will need to persevere through the discomforts.

My days are very busy and it makes me realize how much I appreciate all that Mike does around the home and with the family.  I feel very motivated to pick up the extra work cheerfully because I love Mike so much and I want him to fight this and get better. We have received so much help from all of you and it makes my days much more manageable so thank you all again for so much practical help. Nonetheless I find myself having to persevere through the changes in our routine and in our household.
I am so proud of our boys. Toby and Tyler are so compassionate and helpful. Toby came bounding down the stairs today and went over to Mike sleeping in the chair and said Mom what do you think daddy needs: a snack, a movie, a blankie? We settled on a movie and they all cuddled up and watched CARS.  The boys were thrilled with that! Tyler has been giving daddy extra cuddles and he always kisses the band aid where the IV was. Ty knows all too well what is involved with an IV, and he is very compassionate.
I realize that we are only 3 days into the treatment and when I look at the weeks to come it is hard not to worry about what will be around the corner. But when I look at today I can say you know today wasn't that bad, in fact we had some great moments today. My goal is to persevere in keeping my mind from worrying, but instead focusing on how God helped us through today.

Today this is the passage I found myself reading over and over again.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author an perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider Him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."  Hebrews 12: 1-3

12 comments:

  1. Jana you are such a trooper and writer. God has given you a great gift of writing girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see by the time on your post, that your days are long. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a blessing to read your posts! I'm praying that God will refresh your hearts every day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such a great attitude Jana. We are praying lots for you guys - may you continue to find His mercies new every morning!
    -Sheldon and Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jana - Thank you for this Blog! I check everyday and then pray for you and mike and the boys! You have embraced this "new" walk on your journey with such strength and grace! Everything I have endured over the years is just a small speck of dust in comparison, you are a gift with a heart so big, just like your mom! I am proud to call you my cousin, I love you and send huge hugs, Praying always!
    Love Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well if LOVE and faith can heal a person and help them to keep their spirits up ........this incredible loving, compassionate family sure can !!! We are all so inspired by the way you all are handling this marathon first week and this blog is wonderful. I know you won't have energy at the end of every day to write but every word thus far has been so encouraging, positive and uplifting for all of us looking from a distance.
    Just remember we are here just waiting to help in ANY way we can so if you thing of anything specific we want to know right away.
    I love the scripture you quoted for today ......it is such a great motivator......keep looking at the prize and focusing on the work that is being done.
    Dad and I have faith in you and in Mike, and believe that God has equipped you all for this journey. You are not alone!
    Thanks for the wonderful writing.
    Love and Kisses
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're praying for you, Mike and Jana. Lots of prayers being lifted up for your whole family.

    Andy and Niki Frew

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mom told me about your blog this morning. While Janae was having her bath, I sat down and read it. You will be in my prayers throughout today. When your family needs an outing, you know who to call :) I'll try to let you know, as well, when Brian gets busy in the tractor so the boys can have a ride if they would like. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never been on a "blog" ... but thought I would give it a whirl.
    As you both know ... we have been surrounded with family and close friends going through cancer. And I will say that GOD gives us an amazing source of strength and comfort - knowing that HE is in full control. Fasten your seat belts for the long journey ahead, but remember ... GOD is in the drivers seat.
    You are in our prayers. We pray for special blessings for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thinking of your family all the time. You have always had such an inner strength and it is shinning through in your blog and in the way you are caring for your family. Thinking of you always.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for your comments we feel so loved and supported

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mike, you are on my mind every day. I am very proud of how you handle things and very greatful that God has given you such a wonderful wife and help meet for this time of trial. I wish you a great Easter weekend. Christ gives reason for EVERY season. He will bring you through this to accomplish things you have never dreamed. Love you son. Dad.

    ReplyDelete