Friday 22 April 2011

Live and Love

                                                                       Family

Mike has been doing great. He doesn't have quite as much energy as usual but overall he is back to himself. The sniffles and cough persist but he hasn't had any symptoms beyond the common cold.  The last couple of days we have continued to take advantage of his improvements and we have had some great family moments. Wednesday I mustered up the energy to pack up the whole family and drive us out to our favorite beach in Tsawwassen. Mike found a nice bench in the sun and enjoyed watching the boys play and dig. I packed lunches, hauled strollers, bounced babies, and changed sandy wet children.  The work was well worth it to smell the salty breeze and make memories together.

                                                                     Church
Today was Good Friday, a day that is close to our heart. Every Easter, our church hosts a pancake breakfast and Easter Egg hunt for our neighborhood. It is always a lot of work but is so exciting.  This is the first year we haven't been involved. In the past, the weeks leading up to Easter are full and busy. Of course this year it's been different for us. However today Mike was eager to have a taste of  "normal life" and to be involved in an event with people and purpose. It was so inspiring and beautiful to see all the people that we have come to love in our church working  hard, committed to the vision, and carrying the whole event so competently without us. The gym filled up with neighbors and friends from the community and we served, laughed, re-connected with old friends and made some new friends.  Mike and I came home energized, refreshed and inspired. We have always known that Real Life is God's church, but since Mike has been forced to step back completely we see so clearly what a great Shepherd God is and we know we can trust him fully. Jesus said:
 " I am the good Shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me - and I lay down my life for the sheep." John 10:14.  We spent time today remembering the truth that Jesus laid down his life for us. As I stepped back and watched the church flourish,  I felt God whispering that truth to me.

                                                                        Love

                                    

Although we were tired after a busy day, we decided to go for a date night while Mike is feeling good. Our awesome babysitter arrived with a bouquet of home-made chocolate covered strawberries. I know.... how lucky are we? So the date started off romantic. We went to White Rock, grabbed a warm drink and headed to the beach. We sat on a log right down by the water and watched the sunset. What a treat.

Mike and I have been married for almost 9 years now and I have never felt more in love with him than I do now. Since finding out that he has an illness, it has impressed on us a new kind of urgency to love each other fully, to cherish every moment and to let go of pet peeves. We want our experience with cancer to shape us into a mold that glorifies God. One thing I am thankful for is how Cancer has taught me to keep the big things big and the small things small.  Who cares about the piles of laundry that appear on Mike's side of the bed every night, I'm just so thankful to have my companion, my best friend. 

"Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."      1 Corinthians 13: 7

6 comments:

  1. Made me cry ....... love how you love each other and are allowing this "negative experience " to become a positive in your lives. I am sure God is pleased !!! We love you all so much and pray for you constantly.

    Hugs,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Beautiful." This is the word that popped to my mind after reading this post. Thanks for taking the time to keep us up on the goings on. God bless you this Easter Weekend with more rich memories, and reminders of his love.
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Give me a call when you have a moment. Just a quick question about May 6 :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, has it been nine years already? I can't believe it!

    Reading your post made me think of a wedding wish I'd heard before and it goes "over the years may your love for each other continue to blossom and grow so that years into the future you will look back on your wedding day and realize that it was the day you loved each other the least"...what a blessing for you and Mike that this is indeed the truth. I think that the best thing parents can do for their children is to love each other completely; your children are so lucky to have parents who continue to be so head over heels with each other nine years in.

    What a lovely post, thank-you for continuing to share your tears and smiles with us.

    xox
    heidi

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautifully honest, Jana. Your marriage is a true gift and I love how you appreciate and care for each other. As always you, and your family is such an inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow--what a journey all of you are on. I love the prickly porcupine nickname. You are amazing allowing those three boys of yours to be such a huge part of this journey. I'm sure you are so incredibly tired, but I see an amazing strength coming through in spite of it!! What an amazing testimony you are to those around you--literally God's letter to the world. Life can throw whatever it wants at you, but you will come out the other side tattered and tired, but victorious. Thank you for sharing your story.
    dana

    ReplyDelete