Monday 11 April 2011

Day One

We began the day by getting all three of the boys strapped into the van by 8 am, for us that is a miracle in itself.  We dropped Toby and Ty off for a play date with their buddies Finlay and Alasdair. Toby was so excited to go to their house that he told me the night before " you know Mom I can't wait to go play with the digger at Finlay's house, you know sometimes I just need a break from my mommy." At first I was slightly offended and then I thought of how many times in passing conversation I'll say I just need a break from the kids so I've started bootcamp or whatever it might me. Needless to say the boys had a great day and didn't miss mommy at all.

We headed to the BC Cancer Agency at Surrey Memorial, which is remarkably very calming compared to the rest of the bustling hospital.  Volunteers bring around coffee and tea and a volunteer even held my happy but loudly chattering baby so that I could hear the nurses teaching.

We met a lady who was on her second to last treatment after 15 months of chemo. She is now cancer free and had all kinds of helpful advice for getting through it.  Mike said that chemo was the closest thing he has ever had to the spa.  Recline in a lazy boy with car magazines and no children interrupting you or pressing work responsibilites, not too bad.

He finished up earlier than we expected and he didn't experience many side effects.  He took a good nap this afternoon but other than that has been eating and carrying on as usual.  It still doesn't feel real that we are starting 3 months of chemo. We are just taking it one day at a time.

7 comments:

  1. Ha! Awesome that it was like a spa for guys!
    We are praying for you continually. We love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful info Jana! You're doing great so far!!
    You survived day 1, you can do anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jodi and Shawn Scott12 April 2011 at 09:01

    hey guys! we had no idea about this.
    We will be praying hard for Mike to get through this and be ok with the chemo treatment.
    And for you and your boys strength as well!
    take care!
    love Jodi and Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Jana! We had no idea you guys were going through this! Know that you have many warriors praying on your behalf. Thinking of you all often!
    Love Shari and Paul Gudlaugson
    p.s. I'll pass along the request for prayer to other O.W. gang - The more prayer the better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Closest thing to a spa........haha, glad to see you guys are beginning this journey with your sense of humor! Great job with the blog Jana! Thanks so much for the info, we are thinking of you and praying for your whole family.

    PS - Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. On Sunday I was thinking how nice it would be if you had a blog to keep us all up to date but didn't think I should ask you to do something like that. Glad you did. We are praying for miraculous healing and little side effects.
    Take care,
    Shellie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jana and Mike,
    I just looked at my facebook tonight and was invited by your mum to be her friend...the next thing i see is your beautiful pic of your family and then I read about the health challenge you are going through. With God nothing is impossible. I will be praying for you daily. I just tried to post a comment using google but I don't see it ...so I am trying again. Anyhow God bless you all - you are such a gorgeous family. |As I said I will never forget your wedding day plus the get away VW van for your honeymoon!
    God bless / take care / love from Suzanne Russell

    ReplyDelete