Tuesday 12 April 2011

Day Two

Mike headed off to chemo this morning at 8 am with a friend we haven't seen in awhile. They hung out all morning and I know Mike appreciated the company.  The boys and I got out in the sunshine which is good for us all. We are trying to keep life in a normal rhythm for them as much as possible. 

Mike is doing well.  His side effects have primarily been a decreased appetite and fatigue but he is coping really well.  It is starting to set in that this will be our new normal for awhile and its still hard to get used to.

All of the support and comments have lifted our spirits. All of the delicious food coming our way has Mike motivated to eat ( Thanks Shelley, Kim, Carina, Karen, Cindy, Donnie, Frances).  We are overwhelmed by all of our amazing friends who are offering support in anyway.  We are optimistic and continue to place Mike in God's capable hands.

A month ago our son Tyler was very sick and in the hospital. One night I found myself collapsed on the floor weeping and begging for the health of my husband and my son. I could barely breath and I was alone.  Within minutes the phone rang and it was one of my best friends. Five minutes later Jamie and Scott arrived at the door, followed by my friend Cindy.  The only thing that could bring relief was when they read to me from the Bible.  God spoke this passage to me that night and I have been holding tight to these words ever since.  Tyler also turned the corner the following morning and is now the picture of health once again. Praise God.

"I lift my eyes up to the hills - where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let you foot slip - he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.  The Lord watches over you - the Lord is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day nor the moon by night.  The Lord will keep you from all harm - he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore." Psalm 121

8 comments:

  1. Oh you guys, I had no idea that you were dealing with this. All five of you will be in my thoughts and prayers, and if there is anything else that you need please don't hesitate to ask. Continue to be strong and trust that God never gives us more than we can handle.
    Much love, xox
    heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect, perfect, perfect verse. Can you even imagine how you would cope without God's perfect love? What an awesome God, and what an awesome plan He's got for all of this.
    Way to go Jana! Way to go family. Day 2, done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you both. What a great verse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our dear friends Mike and Jana. You guys are such an inspiration and it moved us to tears and joy reading these. Hugs and prayers.
    Our life group is praying for you all. Keep on keeping on! Jeremiah 29:11 Love Greg and Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey guys...

    The whole lot of us in Chicago are thinking of/praying for you guys. So grateful that you're not having to weather this alone.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go Team Roth! You guys are amazing and such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for you Mike & Jana. Both of you are amazing friends and encouragement to Naomi and I. We will pray God gives you his strength and encouragement day by day (Ps. 46:1).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep up the good work Jana, you are awesome and wise to take it one day at a time! Remember, the cavalry is ready! Love and Kisses to all of you!
    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete