Wednesday 25 January 2012

...and 3 months later... finally an update

Excuses, Excuses...
I am ashamed that I just abandoned the blog as soon as Mike's treatment was finished. I realize many of you must be hanging on for the end of the story......... and I left you hanging.  Counter to our virtual communication culture, I prefer face to face communication and I rarely find myself in front of a computer. So when Mike's treatment ended I wanted to close the cancer chapter in our life and in doing so I stopped blogging and returned to my old ways as we re-entered life in the fast lane. Our last few months have been a juggling act between my job, the church plant and 3 busy boys. We are all coming out of the fog and still trying to find a sense of equilibium. In spite of the busyness, stress and responsibilities we are so thankful to be back to normal.

The impact of our challenging season  hit me hardest as Mike started to regain his strength. I needed to put everything that reminded me of that difficult time on the shelf for awhile. The red sweat pants and chemo hat are stuffed to the back of the closet. I didn't want to cook perogies or chicken noodle soup ever again. Any pictures of Mike during treatment are out of sight, and I couldn't bring myself to log into the blog as too many traumatic memories are attached.
The last few months have been a good season of healing, I feel like the weight of fear is lifting and the fog is starting to dissipate. Our family feels whole again. Lately I have been getting pangs of guilt for not keeping you all updated because without your support, comments and prayers our journey through cancer would have been so difficult to endure.  So I want to re-iterate how important our friends and family are to us and your support through our challenging time was unbelievable. So at long last here is an update.

Mike's Health

Mike's health is good.  He has had 2 follow up visits with the oncologist since he finished chemo, one in September and one in December. Each follow up included a CT scan, blood work and a physical exam. The process of surveillance is also stressful.  Walking back into the cancer clinic brings back a flood of very vivid memories and emotions.  As we wait for results we know our life could change depending on the words we hear from our oncologist. We find ourselves holding on tightly to our faith knowing God will carry us through whatever comes our way as well as a belief that He is in control and will take care of us. At both of our visits our oncologist gave us good news: tumor markers are normal and the CT scan shows no evidence of cancer.  We breath a huge sigh of relief as we walk out of the clinic.We realize we will have to go through this process every 3 months for the next year but I can't describe how thankful we are to receive such good news.

Life and Family

I will try to give you snapshots of what the last 3 months have looked like for us:

August

We felt huge relief to be done chemo. It felt great to watch Mike recover and continue to gain strength without an impeding chemo date on the calender.  His appetite gradually returned, color returned to his checks and stubble started to appear on his head. Everything felt like signs of life, health and new beginnings. However it was still and everyday battle to choose faith over fear of the unknown.  Mike jumped back into working full time and made a remarkably quick recovery.  One highlight of August was taking a week of family vacation at a family camp on Keats Island. The surroundings were breathtaking and we had a week of getting pampered, nourished spiritually and rest. As Mike gained strength I found myself getting weary from the pace I had sustained during his treatment. So this week with child care, no cooking, no chores and time to play with my family was a taste of heaven.

September

Back to reality.  Mike's job is busy in the fall as programs launch and shuffles happen within the church.  Toby started preschool, so for the first time, we get a taste of school routine. I also started back to work. It  was a month of change and huge adjustment for the family, especially me.  Life is very full, the weeks fly by, but I am doing them with my partner again. These changes which would normally feel so stressful, don't feel that bad because we are tackling the art of balancing 3 kids, 2 jobs, and household duties  - together. Mike has full strength, is gaining weight, has his usual energy and a full head of hair.

October

Our family is getting into a better rhythm as the growing pains of "mommy" being back to work aren't quite as intense. October was our month where I finally felt like I had a chance to catch my breath and process what we had been through. Our spring and summer had been consumed by chemo and we hadn't used up Mike's vacation time so even though October is not premium vacation time we took a much needed holiday.  It was by no means a conventional or luxurious holiday but it was an adventure and we loved every minute of it. We actually went on a week long camping trip in October with our little kids.  We had our VW van loaded up and pulling a trailer teaming with bikes, rubber-maids, generators ect.  It is crazy how much stuff you bring with kids. We camped for a few days on a remote spot along Harrison Lake and then went on to Whister. We had many adventures, enjoyed lots of campfires, solitude and endured a few chilly nights. Our kids are troopers and amazing little campers and God blessed us with sunshine the whole week.  The week was packed full of memories I will cherish for the rest of my life.  I am so thankful Mike has the strength back to be having full fledged adventures in the wilderness again.  He is back. 
Movember

Mike not only has a full head of hair that is getting curlier by the day, but he also had a mustache for a few days to honor movember.  He couldn't handle the mustache for long though.  November we just kept on with the treadmill of work and kids. Mike is back working hard catching up for some of the time he was off, but he is enjoying being back to work.  The highlight of our month was a church planting conference in Quebec. We went without kids and stayed for 4 nights in the Chateau Frotenac (ou la la) . The conference was inspiring and a trip without kids was so relaxing.  We ate great food, enjoyed visiting with friends, walked through the old city and most of all cherished our time together.


December

We had a wonderful Christmas. It felt like such a special celebration as I have never felt so thankful for my family as I do this year. When you have a scare with someone you love it makes you appreciate them all the more.  We gathered with friends from our church and community on Christmas eve. We spent  a quiet Christmas day at home just the 5 of us. It was bliss lounging in our house coats and playing with new toys all day. Boxing day we headed off to Kamloops and has gift openings, Turkey dinners, fun in the snow and great memories with our family. We enjoyed seeing our parents and watching the kids have fun with their
grand parents.  It was a very special Christmas indeed.

Entering 2012

I would be lying if I didn't say that I am hoping for a better year, an easier year than 2011. I am very hopeful that Mike is indeed cured and healed.  We have also been told that the next 5 years holds the greatest risk of the cancer re occurring. I try really hard not to worry about that because I know worrying won't help or change anything.  Mike reminds me that absolutely none of us knows what will be around the corner and really all of us can have our life change in the matter of minutes. So there is no point in living in fear of the future. Instead we are  living each day thankful to have our husband and daddy back, and so we choose to live in the moment rather than living out the "what ifs".  I enter 2012 with a stronger faith in God's sovereign plan for our family.  I have a peace in knowing that God always provides, and I have an increased gratefulness for my family. I spend more time playing on the floor with my kids, snuggling on the couch with my husband and making memories together. I spend less time trying to keep up appearances, get organized and get ahead.  I know I learned these lessons through enduring that season of pain, and wrestling with the fear of the unknown. I hope we don't ever have to face cancer again, and  I do believe that Mike will make a full recovery. However  I know that if we do have to do it all again  - God's grace is sufficient.

At some point I will try to post some pictures of the last few months so you can all see how great Mike looks and how much fun the boys are!

10 comments:

  1. Oh wow, thanks so much for the update. I've checked back sometimes, and peeked into your Facebook. I totally respect the feelings of not wanting to log into the blog because of all the memories...but I had been wondering, and I didn't want to be too prying, and give you guys space. Nevertheless, I'm thankful with you for the great progress and gift of life! If you ever need a break down here in California, our door is open to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love you guys, and are so glad Mike is healed! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great update Jana, thanks for doing this. Many people have been wondering and asking about "Mike and the family." We are so thankful to see your life back to normal, even though it is hectic.
    Love Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful news! We love you and your family and think of you all often. May this next year be full of blessings and joy for you all. Hugs from the Lewis family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to read about your wonderful news...Thanks for sharing and I am thanking God for His goodness. Glad you went to Quebec / that must have been fun for both of you- especially since you speak French. Anyhow take care and I am thrilled to hear you are back on track.
    Love Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the update! You are such a beautiful family. 2012 is going to be a fantastic year for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Billy and Brenda26 January 2012 at 23:14

    Hey Mike and Janna...thanks so much for the note Janna and I sit here and am so very thankful for Jesus as I feel in your note the sense of 'hope' and also the dependance on our heavenly Father and knowing that as Christians we can always feel His presence in everything we do...and I also believe that He desires for us to have courage to carry on and also wraps us in his loving arms as we dare to make long term plans after living day to day...God Bless you all.
    Billy and Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kids & Grandkids. Your faith and faithfulness have been a great blessing to us. And speaking of memories, the visit in December was very special. We are already thinking of next summer. I have in mind a special family fishing club, the Pike Minnows, which will include a club handshake and mottos. God is good! We love you all.
    Dad & Mom Roth

    ReplyDelete
  9. So great to read your update, Jana! Glad you came back here to update us on your life in the past months. We will continue praying for your family, Mike's health and your church.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janna, it has been so long and I have thought of you often. Life is so busy with kids, work,etc. I am so happy to hear that things are good and I too would prefer to catch up face to face...for now, a quick note to say hi and let you know your in my thoughts...xo Corena

    ReplyDelete